Torbay Safeguarding Children Partnership

Any parent will tell you that their main role is to ensure that their children are safe and well cared for. However, there are some things that can get in the way of parenting.

Using drugs and alcohol can impair a parents capability to be responsible and safe. Too much of these substances will inhibit your senses, meaning you are not alert to the environment around you and this can compromise your safety and the safety of your children.

If you think that drugs or alcohol are preventing you or someone you know from parenting responsibly or is putting a child at risk, you can contact the NSPCC to discuss your concerns.

Help is also available from Adfam (supporting families affected by drugs and alcohol), Frank (drugs advice for young people) or in an emergency call the Police on 999.

Consistent and/or excessive use of drugs and alcohol by a parent responsible for the care of a child can impair their ability to ensure their child is safe and well. Too much alcohol or drugs inhibits your senses, meaning you are not alert to the environment around you - this can seriously compromise your safety and those you are responsible for and care for.

In Torbay you can speak to Torbay Drug & Alcohol Service on 01803 604330. The Family Information Service (FIS) run by Torbay Council is also able to offer help and advice. Call them on 0800 328 5974.

Childline are able to offer help and advice to children and young people who have any concerns, their freephone number is 0800 1111.

Share this page: Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on Pinterest Share on LinkedIn Share on StumbleUpon Share on Delicious Share on Reddit Print this page | Listen to the website