Torbay Safeguarding Children Partnership

Being looked after by someone who isn't your mum, dad or carer can sometimes be called private fostering or fostering.

Private fostering

Private fostering is when a child under the age of 16 (under 18 if disabled) is cared for by someone who is not their parent or a close relative. This is a private arrangement that lasts more than 28 days and is made between a parent and a carer.

By law, your local authority must be told about all private fostering situations. Visit private fostering for more information.

If you think you might be involved in a private fostering arrangement and you live in Torbay, call 01803 208100 or email  


If you or one of your friends is a child living with foster parents, it can include a lot of changes such as a different place to live, maybe a change of school, with new children and new teachers to get to know.

Sometimes it can be really hard, and the child or young person may also feel really worried or upset about their parents or carers.

If you or someone you know would like to talk to someone about being fostered or cared for by someone else, you can contact ChildLine Opens in a new window on 0800 1111.

Share this page: Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on Pinterest Share on LinkedIn Share on StumbleUpon Share on Delicious Share on Reddit Print this page | Listen to the website