All families have problems - there’s no such thing as a normal family. But sometimes there are problems that you can't fix by talking to your family.
Maybe your parents are fighting, or you're having a hard time with someone else in your family. Sometimes people in families can hurt each other emotionally or physically.
It is not always easy to talk with someone if you are worried or be able to find the right questions to ask. It can be hard to know what to do. But remember - whatever the problem is, you can always talk to someone about it.
You could talk to your teacher, social worker, youth worker or another trusted adult who will then be able to help you work out what should happen next.
If you want to know more about issues which often affect families, click on the links below:
- Cafcass - If your family is going to court because your parents cannot agree on certain things, this site provides advice about what happens at court and how you get your views heard.
- ChildLine - This site has a section (More Info and Advice) which tells you about problems which are often faced by families and what you can do about it. The site also provides information about the service provided by ChildLine. ChildLine can also be contacted on 0800 1111 (24 hours a day) - it is free to call from landlines and the number does not show up on a telephone bill.
- The Hideout - This site gives you advice if there is violence between the adults (known as domestic abuse) in your family.
- Missing People: Runaways - This site gives you details of a support service which you can contact if you feel you have no other option but to run away. The Runaway Helpline can also be contacted on 0808 800 70 70, or by text on 80234 (both 24 hours a day).
- Winston's Wish - If someone important to you dies this can make you very upset and angry. This site has advice and support from people who have been through the same experiences.
- Young Minds - Sometimes we feel sad, worried or cross. This site gives you advice about ways to feel better and work out why you are feeling the way you do.